Nairobi, Kenya – Expectant mothers who previously received maternal healthcare through the Linda Mama Programme are no longer benefiting from the package.

This followed the Ministry of Health (MOH) removing the benefit package from the Social Health Insurance Fund (SHIF), which is managed by the Social Health Authority (SHA).
Appearing before the Senate Plenary on Wednesday, 29 October, Health Cabinet Secretary (CS) Aden Duale confirmed that the Linda Mama Programme is not currently administered under the SHA infrastructure.
Nominated Senator Tabitha Mutinda asked the CS whether the programme has new benefits.
“Has the benefit package of Linda Mama changed following its transition under SHIF, and if so, what are the specific changes in coverage, benefit amounts for normal and caesarean deliveries, and eligibility criteria?” asked Mutinda.
However, CS Duale noted that Linda Mama faced significant challenges that led the government to shift it to a more sustainable model.
Why Linda Mama is not under SHA
“While the program was instrumental in expanding access to free maternal care, it is important that it faces very critical challenges that necessitated a shift to a more comprehensive and sustainable model. And these were all anchored in the four laws that were passed by this House,” said Duale.
Duale revealed that the challenges included frequent financing constraints, budget cuts, delayed reimbursement, and significant access and equity gaps.
“…especially for adolescent mothers without identification, and a benefit package that was not comprehensive because it excluded critical maternal and newborn services like complications and the NICU care,” he added.
The CS said the Ministry of Health, through the Social Health Authority, adopted a very comprehensive household coverage model to ensure all vulnerable families can access a broader range of essential health services.
How govt support expectant mothers
“As part of this strategic framework, the national government, through SHA and the Ministry of Health, is sponsoring 558,000 indigent households, which were identified through the State Department for Social Protection, Enhanced Single Registry, in order to access health care under SHA,” he noted.
Linda Mama Programme was moved to the SHA following the transition of the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) in October 2025.
However, the administration of the programme was later halted, forcing expectant mothers to look for alternative healthcare financing.











Discussion about this post