NAIROBI, Kenya—Detectives attached to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) have officially launched investigations into the reported disappearance of former Cabinet Secretary Raphael Tuju, following a missing person report lodged at Karen Police Station.
In a statement signed by John Marete on behalf of DCI, the security agency stated that Tuju’s family reported him missing on Saturday, March 22, 2026.

“His motor vehicle was discovered abandoned along Miotoni Lane in Karen, with its hazard lights on. A security guard from a nearby institution alerted authorities, prompting a swift response by officers from Karen Police Station,” said Marete.
In the statement, Marete revealed that the scene was later processed by crime scene investigators, and the vehicle was towed to Karen Police Station for further forensic examination.
“Efforts to reach Tuju have so far been unsuccessful, as his mobile phone remains switched off. A specialised team has since been deployed to handle the case and is working in coordination with all other relevant government agencies to establish his whereabouts,” the statement further reads.
DCI through Marete indicated that the investigating team was also utilising all available resources and investigative techniques to determine the circumstances surrounding his reported disappearance.
However, the DCI decried that while progress is being made, it has noted an attempt by the family to deny investigators access to Raphael Tuju’s residence along Mwitu Drive.
“We urge full cooperation from all parties, including unrestricted access to relevant locations and prompt provision of information, for a swift and thorough resolution,” Marete emphasised.
Raphael Tuju’s lawyer opens up about his mysterious disappearance
While addressing the press at Entim Sidai Hotel in Karen, Nairobi, Paul Nyamondi-Tuju’s lawyer, flanked by PLO Lumumba, family and friends, confirmed that the family had filed a missing person report at Karen Police Station.
According to Nyamondi, Tuju’s mobile phones have remained switched off since Saturday night, which he disclosed was highly unusual.
Nyamondi further said that his client was scheduled to appear on an evening radio show but did not.
Tuju’s mysterious disappearance has sparked concern in political circles, especially from his Luo Nyanza backyard, and among the public, prompting calls for transparency from security agencies.
For instance, Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) leader Oburu Oginga expressed deep concern over reports that Tuju had gone missing, urging the government to launch an immediate investigation.
Oburu Oginga leads Luo leaders in questioning Raphael Tuju’s matter
Oburu, the Siaya senator, was speaking at Kango Ka Jaramogi in Bondo during his coronation as the party leader for the national top leadership.
He described the situation as damaging to the country’s image and called on security agencies to prioritise the matter.
“There is an issue that has been mentioned to me: former CS Raphael Tuju has disappeared. I need more information to know what is happening, but I urge the government to investigate quickly and let us know what has happened to our son, Tuju. This does not give us a good image, and I plead with security to investigate this matter,” he said.
Tuju, a former Cabinet secretary and prominent political figure, has previously served in various government capacities, including as minister for foreign affairs and as a party leader.
Meanwhile, the DCI has called on members of the public who may have information regarding Tuju’s whereabouts or who may have seen him, his vehicle or suspicious activity in the Miotoni Lane or greater Karen area before, on or after March 21, 2026, to come forward.
According to the security agency, information may be shared confidentially via the DCI toll number or WhatsApp to report anonymously or to the nearest police station.
“The investigation remains ongoing, and further updates will be provided as significant developments arise,” the DCI stated.
This comes as Tuju is battling a court case over the auction of his prime properties in Karen.
Tuju has since written to Chief Justice Martha Koome, complaining about the conduct of some judicial officers and their integrity while questioning the process to grant auctioneers leeway to auction his Karen property to proceed.











Discussion about this post